Chef Mariza de Jager
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1kg sirloin steak, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 250ml Duke Sauvignon Blanc
- ½ tsp ground mustard seed, or 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 125ml cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of butter. Sauté the mushrooms in the butter over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add the onions to the butter and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Toss the beef chunks with the flour and add them to the pan. Cook until browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine, mustard powder, and tomatoes to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms, scraping the bottom of the pan to pick up any sticky bits.
- Simmer the mixture over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until the beef is cooked to your liking.
- Pour the cream into the saucepan and mix to combine.
- Season to perfection with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve the stroganoff with rice and a glass of DUKE Shiraz.