- 1 cup Duke Shiraz
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 whole clove
- 1 whole all spice
- 1 bay leave
- peel of 1 lemon
- 4 whole pears, peeled with stem intact
- 50g whole hazelnuts
- 1L vanilla ice cream
- In a small pot stir wine, juice, sugar, spices and lemon peel together over low heat until sugar is melted, and mixture starts boiling.
- Add pears to mixture. Cover pears with a cartouche (baking paper lid, to keep contend covered in liquid), cook until tender but still a little firm. Test with sharp paring knife.
- Remove from liquid, allow to cool and place in fridge.
- Reduce cooking liquid until thick and syrupy.
- Toast nuts in a dry pan until slightly toasted and nutty. Allow to cool and roughly chop.
Sprinkle nuts over ice cream when serving with pears and a glass of DUKE Shiraz.