Chef Mariza de Jager
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- In large bowl, wash rice in several changes of cold water until water runs clear. Place rice in a large pot, add 2 cups water, and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Cover pot and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cook until water is absorbed, and rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In small pan, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Heat up mixture stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a shallow plastic bowl and sprinkle with vinegar mixture. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture for assembly.
- With a wooden spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion until cooled. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist.
Japanese mayonnaise (combine all ingredients and mix well)
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 25g bag nori (seaweed) sheets
- Fillings – choose from cucumber strips / smoked salmon / white crabmeat / tuna / red pepper / avocado / spring onion / avocado
TO MAKE SUSHI ROLLS:
- Lay a nori sheet on a sushi mat, shiny side down. Dip your hands in water, then pat handfuls of rice on top in a 1cm thick layer, leaving the furthest edge from you clear.
- Spread over Japanese mayonnaise. Use a spoon to spread out a thin layer of mayonnaise down the middle of the rice.
- Top the mayonnaise with a line of your favourite fillings example: Salmon, Avocado and Cucumber
- Roll it up by lifting the edge of the mat over the rice, applying a little pressure to keep everything in a tight roll.
- When you get to the edge without any rice, brush with a little water and continue to roll into a tight roll.
- Remove the mat and roll tightly in cling film before cutting the sushi into thick slices, then unravel the cling film.
Serve sushi with wasabi (optional – and fiery!), pickled ginger, soy sauce, and a glass of DUKE White Pinotage.