Chef Mariza de Jager
Bone marrow crust
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 50g thyme leaves
- 50g chopped parsley
- 450g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 170g diced bone marrow
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the butter in a pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add the thyme and parsley and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat and cool. Combine with the breadcrumbs and mustard and then fold in the remaining 1 cup butter. Fold in the bone marrow and season with the salt. Keep at room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven and turn top grill on.
Beef fillet medallions
- 4 x 150g beef fillet steak medallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- Make a rub with garlic, Worcester sauce, oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan to hot. Add a little oil and a tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add thyme sprigs to season pan and cook steaks with thyme 3 minutes per side.
- Remove and place on oven tray. Press bone marrow crust gently on steak and place in pre-heated oven under grill. Allow crumb to crisp up. Remove and allow to rest.
Serve with a variety of baby vegetables and a glass of DUKE Cabernet Sauvignon.