Chef Mariza de Jager
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- In large bowl, wash rice in several changes of cold water until water runs clear. Place rice in a large pot, add 2 cups water, and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Cover pot and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cook until water is absorbed, and rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In small pan, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Heat up mixture stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a shallow plastic bowl and sprinkle with vinegar mixture. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture for assembly.
- With a wooden spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion until cooled. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist.
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 tuna steaks
- 100g fine green beans, top cut off
- 1 red pepper, pips discarded and cut in different shapes
- 1 punnet baby carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 bunch spring onions, washed and cut in length
- In a large bowl of shallow dish, combine the first six ingredients. Add tuna and turn to coat on all sides. Place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- While tuna is resting, bring a pot of water to the boil. Blanche vegetables in batches until cooked to preference.
- Drain tuna, discarding marinade. Heat a pan until very hot. Spay pan with cooking spray.
- Place tuna in pan and cook until fish flakes easily with a fork, 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan, place on plate, cover with foil and allow to rest.
- Add vegetables to hot pan and fry until brown bits form.
Serve tuna with vegetables and sushi rice, and a glass of DUKE White Pinotage.