Chef Mariza de Jager
For the stuffing:
- 150g smoked bacon, finely diced
- 150g minced pork
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the beef olives:
- 4 topside steaks, seasoned and dusted with flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 4–5 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 cup Duke Pinotage
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 100g butter
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Place stuffing onto each steak. Roll up to make large hearty parcels and secure with wooden skewers or string to hold the stuffing in.
- To cook, heat the oil in a cooking pot over a medium heat and brown the beef olives.
- Once done, fry the onions and carrots until well coloured, then add the beef stock and wine.
- Cook gently, either on the hob or in the oven (preheated to 1700C), for 2½ – 3 hours until tender and giving.
- Roughly cut up cauliflower. Place on oven tray, with a good sprinkle of salt, pepper and dot with butter.
- Roast in oven until brown and tender. Blend until smooth.
Serve hot beef olives with creamy cauliflower mash and a glass of DUKE Pinotage.