Chef Mariza de Jager
Spring onion pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk and ½ cup water
- 1 bunch spring onion, sliced
- Sieve flour, salt and baking powder. Mix eggs, milk and water. Whisk through flour mixture until smooth batter. Allow to rest before baking.
- Spray a pan with spray and cook, add thin layer of pancake batter, sprinkle some spring onion over wet batter and allow bottom to cook, flip and allow other side to cook.
- Repeat with remaining batter and spring onion.
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and julienne sliced
- 1 bunch spring onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- ½ cucumber, julienne
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
Combine the sugar, water, rice vinegar and salt in small pot. Taste when the sugar and salt have dissolved before the mixture boils. Add additional salt and sugar if desired. Pour the pickling liquid over vegetables.
- 4 skin-on duck breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Score skin of duck breast (proper scoring is essential for crispy duck skin).
- Season both sides of duck breast with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a griddle pan on medium-high heat. Grill the duck to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium done.
- Allow to rest before slicing.
Serve with pickled vegetables, spring onion pancakes and a glass of DUKE Pinotage.