Chef Mariza de Jager
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cut into small cubes
- 2 carrots, cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 4cm piece of ginger, peeled and cut into small match sticks
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 270ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp Sake (or dry Vermouth or dry Sherry)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp miso paste
- 1kg mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- warm naan bread to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Fry until mirepoix (mixture of onion, celery and carrots) and garlic are translucent.
- Add coconut milk, sake, soy sauce and miso paste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels and chilli and stir well. Cover with a tight lid and cook for 5 minutes or until all of the mussels have opened. Remove pan from heat and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Remove any un-opened mussels and place remaining mussels and broth in a large bowl.
Serve with warm naan bread and a glass of DUKE Sauvignon Blanc.